Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pot Roast w/ Potatoes, Carrots and Onions

I found a pot roast recipe from my trusty Cooks Illustrated book (that I have been borrowing from my brother for the last few months....Thanks Chris!). I started cooking at 4:14 or so and I didn't have the roast in the oven until 5 because of all the browning and then sauteing of the veggies and the other series of ingredients. So it took me 45 minutes to prep and then it had to cook in the oven for 3.5 hours. This wouldn't be that bad if it were for the fact that you have to flip it every 30 minutes for 3.5 hours. Then I had to add the potatoes and carrots and let it cook for 30 minutes longer. THEN I had to separate the fat, add red wine, and boil it for 20 more minutes to finish cooking the veggies.

All of this work and was it worth it? What do you think? NO NO NO. If it had been, you would see the recipe posted. I decided that throwing all those ingredients into the slow cooker and pressing "8 hours" on the timer produced a much better Pot Roast that this million step process.

I just want to quickly justify why I always go to cooks illustrated first for recipes. If you have ever picked up a Cooks Illustrated cookbook you discover that before every recipe, they thoroughly discuss how they came up with the recipe as well as any cooking techniques that you need to know to create the meal. If you don't know how to cook and want to learn...Pick up a cooks illustrated magazine which has 30 for just under $10 and get your cooking going. There is lots of joy in creating a healthy meal for you or your family that tastes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment