Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Jarred Baby Food

So I had a little play group at my house today and we talked for a minute about baby food. It seems like there may be fewer ingredients in baby food than I thought. Its my understanding that its just the fruit or vegetables and water. So that meets the "3 or under" (there has to be fewer than 3 ingredients on the label). However, after my friends left, I was thinking about it and it still seems strange to me.

If I made apple sauce at home from real apples, it wouldn't last in a jar at room temperature for any significant amount of time. In fact, I'm sure that even I could remove all the air from the container it would still need to be refrigerated and it wouldn't last weeks. Maybe one week I would think. So what do they do the baby food to make it last so long?

I'm not sure of the answer to this questions, but for now, I'm going to be making Grahams food. I'm not saying he will never eat jarred food. I'm a practical person and I know myself well enough to know that I won't always have food made for him. But for me its important to hold Grahams eating habits to the same standard I hold myself. So when possible, I will make organic foods for baby. I will use local ingredients when possible and I will give him a diverse food selection.

I hope my efforts produce a healthy happy baby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment