Monday, January 4, 2010

Olive Oil Pie Crust

This recipe came about because I couldn't find a "good for you" recipe for pie crust for my Turkey Pot Pie. I did a little research and found a recipe that calls for Olive Oil as the fat. I have not tried this myself, but for the sake of those trying to make my recipes, this is a healthy alternative to the traditional pie crust. I want to give credit where credit is due. I found this at helensrecipes.blogspot.com. Here it is:

Ingredients for 2-Crust Pie:

2 c. sifted Unbleached Flour
1 t. Salt
1/2 c. Olive Oil
3 T. Cold Water

Ingredients for 1-Crust Pie:

1-1/3 c. sifted Unbleached Flour
1/2 t. Salt
1/3 c. Olive Oil
2 T. Cold Water

Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl.

Add oil and mix well with a fork.

Sprinkle cold water over mixture and mix well.

With hands, press mixture into a smooth ball. (If mix is too dry, add 1-2 T. more oil, a little at a time and then shape into a ball - it is rare that I ever had to add more oil.) Divide ball in half.

Now, you are going to roll this out a little differently than you are used to doing. You are going to roll it between wax paper. (Your rolling pin never touches the product and so it stays clean!) Because you want to make sure you roll out the dough large enough for your pie pan, use two pieces of wax paper underneath the dough and two pieces of wax paper on top of the dough - making a cross (+).

No comments:

Post a Comment