Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Roasted Vegetables with Polenta

In an effort to reduce the amount of meat I eat and incorporate more vegetables into my diet, I tried this great recipe for dinner tonight. This weeks menu includes meatless meals every other night. I found this recipe on freshpicks.com, a company that delivers local organic produce, meat and dairy. My first order will be delivered next Thursday (YAY!). The end result was a sweet, hearty, filling meal. I was surprised that when I was done eating, I didn't crave more food. It was completely satisfying. I'm starting to realize that the fewer things I buy in a box, the fewer cravings I have.

The root veggies can be swapped out with others if you prefer something else, but for me the fun was trying veggies I wouldn't normally eat. So here was tonights dinner:

Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Ingredients:
- 2 parsnips
- 5 carrots
- 3 large sweet peppers
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 red onion
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 cups milk
- 1 c. hot water
- 1 t garlic
- 1 1/2 c. cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup basil, shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 t thyme
- Salt and black pepper

Wash and cut vegetables into 1 inch pieces. In a large bowl, mix parsnips, carrots, peppers, fennel, red onion, oil, 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. Spread out in a single layer in a roasting pan. Roast at 375 degree F in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.

For the polenta, combine milk, water, garlic, 1 t salt and 1/4 t pepper in a large saucepan and simmer. Whisk in cornmeal; cook until thick and smooth for 3 minutes. If it is too thick add a little more water. Stir in Parmesan and basil. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 2 inch thick 13 X 9 baking dish with oil. Spread polenta out on the baking dish and arrange vegetables over the polenta. Drizzle cream on top. Sprinkle with cheese and thyme and bake all together in the oven at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting. Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment