Monday, January 4, 2010

Turkey Pot Pie

I just ate a delicious Turkey Pot Pie that I created with what was in my fridge. I'm totally surprised and how great it turned out. It is a little sweet, but a good turkey (poultry) flavor. I would go back for seconds but I'm trying to loose 12lbs before I leave for my trip to India! The dish is mostly good for you- everything but the crust. I'm on the hunt for a better crust recipe so there isn't as much fat.

I used this recipe as my guide but I changed quite a bit: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Turkey-Pot-Pie-I/Detail.aspx. Here is what I did below:

1 small acorn squash, roasted then cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small onion
1 cup cut green beans, about 1 inch pieces
4 button mushrooms cut in half then sliced
2 Tbs fresh Parsley, fine chopped
1 tsp dried Oregano
Salt to taste
2 cups chicken broth plus 2Tbs for saute
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
1-1/2 cups cooked shredded Turkey breast or chicken breast

Here is what I did:
1. Cut the acorn squash in half, Seed, and Roast the squash for 40 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Reduce oven heat to 375. Let squash cool then peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.

2. Dice onion and garlic and saute on medium high with 2 Tbs chicken stock (I use this method to reduce the amount of oil in the recipe). After about 5 minutes, add oregano, parsley, green beans, and mushrooms. Add additional chicken broth if needed to keep the pan moist. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, keeping the pan moist.

3. In separate sauce pan, melt butter until bubbling subsides, about 1 minute. Add flour and mix quickly to create paste. Add 2 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil to allow for it to thicken. Then add milk and bring up to a slight simmer. Reduce heat to low and add the Acorn squash and the onion, green bean, mushroom mixture and add in your cut up turkey.

4. Put filling into a 9-1/2 or 10 inch pie dish. Lay pie crust on top carefully. Trim and tuck the edges under (I used a standard pie crust recipe I found without sugar on allrecipe.com). Bake pie for 40 to 45 minutes until your crust is lightly browned and filling is bubbly. Be sure to put a baking sheet under the pie to prevent a bubbly mess on the bottom of your oven.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment