Wednesday, January 27, 2010

White Fish w/ Rainbow Chard

I'm not always thrilled about veggies that I make. I like vegetables. In fact, I can't think of a vegetable I don't like. However they don't always turn out the way I want. But tonight I made baked fish with a lemon oregano bread crumb and a side of Rainbow (swiss) Chard with fresh ginger and jalapenos. It was FANTASTIC. The fish was fresh and light and the Rainbow Chard was tasty and refreshing. Everything was fresh from the market today. This was a great meal that even a novice cook can make for their family or friends.

So here is what I did:

White Fish-

Bread Crumbs:
1 lbs White fish (or other mild flavor fish like tilapia)
2 slices of bread (I used home made oat/wheat bread)
1 Tablespoon Parsley
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 Lemon (zest half lemon for bread crumbs and juice half or all of lemon in bottom of baking dish)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (maybe more or less...you want the crumbs to be moist but not wet. They should still be separate but moist)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the fish into individual size pieces. I made bread crumbs from home made bread. To the bread crumbs I added parsley, oregano, salt, lemon zest, and olive oil. In a baking dish I added white wine, lemon juice, smashed garlic, and olive oil to the bottom 9x13 baking dish. I placed the fish in the in the dish, making sure not to place it on top of any garlic pieces. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.


Rainbow Chard-

1 bunch Rainbow or Swiss Chard
1 teaspoon fresh zested ginger
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 small Jalapenos

Cut colored stems off the leafy greens. Cut stems in half lengthwise and then dice into 1/4 inch pieces. Cut Jalapenos and deseed and devein them (if you like a more mild spice) then cut into 1/8 inch pieces. Peel and zest 1 Teaspoon fresh ginger. Heat skillet to medium high heat (12 inch is best, but I used a chinese wok because its the only pan I have large enough to hold the chard) with 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Add colored stems, jalapenos and ginger zest and saute while you are cutting up the leaves. Cut Chard leaves into 1 inch pieces and rinse well then add to skillet. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes then remove the lid and continue cooking until the greens have wilted down and the stems are slightly soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste and Serve warm.

1 comment: