Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Local and Organic

About a week ago I watched the documentary Food, Inc. The movie opened my eyes to the food industry and its regulation. I thought I understood food and where it comes from. The truth is, I didn't know much. I didn't realize where my meat came from, or that the 1 pound of ground beef I buy from the grocery has (on average) meat from 1000 cows. YES, ONE THOUSAND COWS. I didn't know that companies in the meat/slaughter industry recruit immigrants from Mexico and then make agreements with immigration to only deport 15 immigrants a day so their business isn't disrupted. I didn't know that the reason we have such an E. Coli problem is that we feed our animals food their bodies are not designed to digest. I can't even begin to cover everything that had an impact on me in Food, Inc. so I just suggest you watch it.

At the end of the film, there is text that comes across the screen that tells viewers what they can do to make a difference. They suggest you buy local, organic produce and meats. Doing so reduces the distance your food has to travel from farmer to supermarket. It helps preserve the earth by using sustainable farming practices and promote healthy soil. It also allows you to know your farmer and what is going into your food. Another line at the end of the film had a huge impact on me. It said something like, If you say grace before you eat, pray that the food you are about to eat will keep you and the planet healthy.

When we buy local organic foods we: support our local economy, we promote a healthy planet, we reduce the impact chemicals have on our bodies and our planet, we can reduce our dependance on preprocessed foods that can be harmful to our bodies and are contributing to the obesity epidemic in our country, and lastly, we allow ourselves to explore flavorful healthy foods.

One of my new years resolutions or goals is to follow though on the causes that I believe in. Local organic food is one of those causes. Right now I'm shopping at Wholefoods. I do feel like that that is a step in the right direction, but its not good enough. So I found this great website Freshpicks.com. Its a small business that seeks out local farmers and sells their produce and meats. If during the winter months there isn't much available, they partner with other small co-ops in different regions of the country to bring us produce. I have my first order coming next week and I already feel good about it.

Check out http://www.takepart.com/foodinc and freshpicks.com (if your in the Chicago area).

Happy Healthy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment